Tuesday, June 14, 2011

To Dream...

Today I went up to Salt Lake to watch my brother graduate from Boys State. I went up thinking that it was going to be a boring program that I would have to suffer through (but I obviously I was there to support by brother). For the most part the program was pretty dull. A bunch of old guys talked about the friends the boys had made and how great they were. How ever there was one talk that really got my attention. The previous year's boys had elected a boy with cerebral palsy (I think that is how you spell it) to be their Governor, giving him the opportunity to come back had lead this years boys. He started his talk by singing "The Impossible Dream" from the musical Man of La Mancha. It must have took a lot of confidence and courage on his part to stand up in front of all those people and give a speech that was hard for most to understand. He talked with so much convictions. He believed in his words so much and I could see how much they meant to him. I was so touch by the way the boys acted toward him. Often times I see high school boys acting immature and sometimes cruel towards those that are different than they are. Yet the light in his eyes and personality reflected upon these boys and the audience members. 
I guess what I am getting at is the fact that this boy who probably battled invisible giants his whole life with this physical impediment and came out victorious in many peoples eyes. Many of us don't have to tilt at such windmills. I want to inspire people and bring out an inner light as this boy did.

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
To try ... when your arms are too weary ...
To reach ... the unreachable star ...

This is my quest, to follow that star ...
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...
To fight for the right, without question or pause ...
To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm,
when I'm laid to my rest ...
And the world will be better for this:
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach ... the unreachable star ...

No comments:

Post a Comment